Phantom107 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phantom107 Forum

Phantom107's Forum. Discuss about games, GML, 3d, game design here. Enjoy your stay ;)

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Phantom Engine Requests

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Phantom107
Admin
Phantom107

Phantom Engine Requests Empty
PostSubject: Phantom Engine Requests   Phantom Engine Requests Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 4:48 pm

Phantom Engine

Phantom Engine Requests 1-11

This topic is for requesting new features in the engine. Feel free to post them here. I cannot guarantee all requests will make it though, but most of them will. Smile

Last edited by on Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://phantom107.actieforum.com
stewrat
Loyal Poster
stewrat

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine Requests   Phantom Engine Requests Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 12:14 am

Awesome engine phantom! I'd just ask for one thing. Could you make a tree or even a block that doesn't use a grid and make a script that will check collisions for it? Cause I love your shooting machanics but my tree's can't be grids can they? How would that work? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.yogamerclub.piczo.com
Phantom107
Admin
Phantom107

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine Requests   Phantom Engine Requests Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 12:28 am

stewrat wrote:
Awesome engine phantom! I'd just ask for one thing. Could you make a tree or even a block that doesn't use a grid and make a script that will check collisions for it? Cause I love your shooting machanics but my tree's can't be grids can they? How would that work? Thanks!

There's tons of ways do check trees, but that depends on the tree's geometry. Can you show an image of what your trees look like?
Back to top Go down
stewrat
Loyal Poster
stewrat

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine Requests   Phantom Engine Requests Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 1:47 am

Go to "Creations/Work in progress" and go to "WW2 Example". The tree's are there. If I haven't put the updated version where I used your "mouse control" teqnique just wait a sec and I'll get it on. You can edit it if you like and put in the checking or you could just tell me how! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
slayer64
Heavy Poster
slayer64

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine Requests   Phantom Engine Requests Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 3:11 am

the obj_spawn depth should be -10, for the same reason as bridges.

the color between 02 and 03 should be different. red and orange are pretty close and its hard to tell a 02 slope from a 02 terrain.

the joystick should have sensitive controls, even when the stick is just barely touched, the player moves at maximum speed.

change the depth of the controller, player, and hud, so they work. i placed them in the room in the wrong order, and i got an error. had to erase my map to figure that out. Sad

Code:
for object obj_Player:

In script Player_Create:
Error in code at line 6:
  a = round(random(obj_Controller.SpawnCount));

at position 34: Unknown variable SpawnCount

the lighting color around this slope isn't correct. there should be white around two edges, i think.
Phantom Engine Requests Dsfsdfqz8
but maybe it would look best with no edge lighting, everything would just blend together. i like that idea.

i set the alpha value of the world to .5, using draw_set_alpha(), so i could see the walls that didnt need to be drawn. because they were behind something. this happened when, lets say bridge03 was next to terrain06. this did not lag much at 30 fps but did at 60.
your engine could be much more efficient if it didn't draw these hidden walls.

how about some AI that works with your scripts. just a character that runs around, and the user can chase it. but not randomly into walls, and acting retarded. it should move with a purpose. and stop when the player doesn't chase anymore.

Last edited by on Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:12 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
stewrat
Loyal Poster
stewrat

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine Requests   Phantom Engine Requests Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 3:55 am

Hey could you make it multiplayer? I'm just wondering whether that's possible.
Back to top Go down
Phantom107
Admin
Phantom107

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine Requests   Phantom Engine Requests Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 10:55 am

stewrat wrote:
Go to "Creations/Work in progress" and go to "WW2 Example". The tree's are there. If I haven't put the updated version where I used your "mouse control" teqnique just wait a sec and I'll get it on. You can edit it if you like and put in the checking or you could just tell me how! Thanks!

Damn it, I downloaded GM7 to open it, but I can't see it because I haven't registered GM7. Just upload me a clear image of a tree.

slayer64 wrote:
the obj_spawn depth should be -10, for the same reason as bridges.

the color between 02 and 03 should be different. red and orange are pretty close and its hard to tell a 02 slope from a 02 terrain.

the joystick should have sensitive controls, even when the stick is just barely touched, the player moves at maximum speed.

change the depth of the controller, player, and hud, so they work. i placed them in the room in the wrong order, and i got an error. had to erase my map to figure that out. Sad

Code:
for object obj_Player:

In script Player_Create:
Error in code at line 6:
  a = round(random(obj_Controller.SpawnCount));

at position 34: Unknown variable SpawnCount

the lighting color around this slope isn't correct. there should be white around two edges, i think.
Phantom Engine Requests Dsfsdfqz8
but maybe it would look best with no edge lighting, everything would just blend together. i like that idea.

i set the alpha value of the world to .5, using draw_set_alpha(), so i could see the walls that didnt need to be drawn. because they were behind something. this happened when, lets say bridge03 was next to terrain06. this did not lag much at 30 fps but did at 60.
your engine could be much more efficient if it didn't draw these hidden walls.

how about some AI that works with your scripts. just a character that runs around, and the user can chase it. but not randomly into walls, and acting retarded. it should move with a purpose. and stop when the player doesn't chase anymore.

Depth problems will be fixed. I didn't know this before. Shocked

I fixed the lighting around the slope, but I'm not going to change the colors. I can easily tell the difference between the orange/red icons. Maybe reconfigure your screen?

I'll try fixing the problem with the hidden walls. I didn't notice there where this much hidden walls earlier. A bit of a warning though. Gamemaker has some depth issues with alpha so some hidden walls are actually not hidden. (complex)

I think the big thing in version 6 will be AI bots. I've done it before, but this time around it's going to be extremely hard due to different terrain layer heights.

stewrat wrote:
Hey could you make it multiplayer? I'm just wondering whether that's possible.

Sorry, I have no experience at all making multiplayer games. It's very well possible though.
Back to top Go down
Guilty Sparks
Heavy Poster
Guilty Sparks

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine Requests   Phantom Engine Requests Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 3:47 pm

Phantom, I know multiplayer, seeing how I was working on a mmorpg... When its completly done, I'll help you with that if you want...
Ok 2 request: Smaller walls, since there are no "walls" yet, only blocks. ALso, lighting, like a lightbulb on the roof. And, mabey, a faster system to get up alwell, like a elevator or (this one wouldbe cooler) a gravity lift... (This would help if someone ever turns it into splitscreen or online, since then theres more than one way up) ANd once I get some good weapons, (I found not-as good versions of those halo weapons, with less triangles) rmember to put in the weapon pick up system
Back to top Go down
slayer64
Heavy Poster
slayer64

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine Requests   Phantom Engine Requests Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 4:25 pm

Quote :
I fixed the lighting around the slope, but I'm not going to change the colors. I can easily tell the difference between the orange/red icons. Maybe reconfigure your screen?

but, can you see them in the room editor, when your selecting objects from the menu. its hard to tell which way the slope is going. could you put the arrow back on them at least?
Back to top Go down
Phantom107
Admin
Phantom107

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine Requests   Phantom Engine Requests Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 5:18 pm

Guilty Sparks wrote:
Phantom, I know multiplayer, seeing how I was working on a mmorpg... When its completly done, I'll help you with that if you want...
Ok 2 request: Smaller walls, since there are no "walls" yet, only blocks. ALso, lighting, like a lightbulb on the roof. And, mabey, a faster system to get up alwell, like a elevator or (this one wouldbe cooler) a gravity lift... (This would help if someone ever turns it into splitscreen or online, since then theres more than one way up) ANd once I get some good weapons, (I found not-as good versions of those halo weapons, with less triangles) rmember to put in the weapon pick up system

Smaller walls are very well possible. How tall do you like them to be? Equal to the terrain pieces? Note that bullet checking will cost a LOT more memory since checking small walls is expensive. (Maybe I'll make the grids 16 times as big to allow easy wall and tree checking)

Elevators and gravity lifts are easy. Maybe I'll make them both! Who knows...
(Why do I get the idea you want to make some kind of Halo game... Razz )

A weapon pickup system is also very very easy for me to make. When I have the models you can expect it to be included.

Sorry but I will not add lighting. I hate the way lighting works in GM. It's very chaotic, and it won't even let me define the intensity! I can do fake shadows though...but that's something for v0.07 or so.

slayer64 wrote:
Quote :

but, can you see them in the room editor, when your selecting objects from the menu. its hard to tell which way the slope is going. could you put the arrow back on them at least?

Even when selecting icons in the menu I can easily tell the difference.....I'll figure something out though

With all these to be added features the room editor will be one heck of a complex system - deal with it. Wink

Also, there is very very much to be added/changed, so don't expect v0.06 anytime soon.
Back to top Go down
Guilty Sparks
Heavy Poster
Guilty Sparks

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine Requests   Phantom Engine Requests Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 11:14 pm

heh I'll have fun in v5 for a long time... And I'll send you that model that looks low detaled- does it say somewhere what it is? *How can you tell)
Back to top Go down
Guilty Sparks
Heavy Poster
Guilty Sparks

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine Requests   Phantom Engine Requests Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 11:36 pm

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/787/787943/halo-3-20070511095017112-000.jpg (Small grav lift idea)
https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img140/5483/flyinglessoncf7.jpg (Big one on the right of the pic)
Here are some grav lifts, do you know which type yours will be? (What color?)
Back to top Go down
Phantom107
Admin
Phantom107

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine Requests   Phantom Engine Requests Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 11:55 pm

I don't really know yet. I have to make bug-free mechanics for them first. I was thinking to make it like the big purple gravity lift as seen in Halo 1 (I have it on PC). However, you can always make the graphics for it yourself, as my engine is intended to do all the collisions and stuff. I expect the user of it to make his own graphics.
Back to top Go down
Guilty Sparks
Heavy Poster
Guilty Sparks

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine Requests   Phantom Engine Requests Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 12:16 am

lol ofcourse... It'll look wierd for a fully published game to be grids
Back to top Go down
Phantom107
Admin
Phantom107

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine Requests   Phantom Engine Requests Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 10:16 pm

OK, so I got the gravity lifts up and running, and they're great to play with! I want to release v0.06, but I want to include a weapon system too. Anyone got any low-poly weapon models to share? thanks.
Back to top Go down
Guilty Sparks
Heavy Poster
Guilty Sparks

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine Requests   Phantom Engine Requests Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 11:11 pm

cant wait for v6... I only have the halo models though...
Back to top Go down
slayer64
Heavy Poster
slayer64

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine Requests   Phantom Engine Requests Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 12:05 am

you can use these suck ass models, lol.
http://host-a.net/slayer64/gun%20models.zip
Back to top Go down
Phantom107
Admin
Phantom107

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine Requests   Phantom Engine Requests Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 12:16 am

Those models don't even got textures! I think I'll pass... Razz
Back to top Go down
slayer64
Heavy Poster
slayer64

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine Requests   Phantom Engine Requests Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 12:39 am

you could make some....
Back to top Go down
Phantom107
Admin
Phantom107

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine Requests   Phantom Engine Requests Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 1:30 am

I'm not much of a modeler/texturer... I'll stick with programming
Back to top Go down
stewrat
Loyal Poster
stewrat

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine Requests   Phantom Engine Requests Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 1:28 am

Hey! Could you put something in that you can actually shoot? Like a moving block that runs around? Or a human model if you've got one. Just make him move pretty slowly. Your ice arena game is awsome but the guys move a little fast. Thanks! Great Job so far! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Phantom107
Admin
Phantom107

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine Requests   Phantom Engine Requests Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 1:30 am

Yes, I'm currently working on a bot that moves around. The trouble is I have to write an entire AI pathfinding system algorithm for this. I want the engine to generate pathfinding positions for itself, so it's gonna take a while. Stay tuned.
Back to top Go down
stewrat
Loyal Poster
stewrat

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine Requests   Phantom Engine Requests Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 1:31 am

You Rock pirat
Back to top Go down
slayer64
Heavy Poster
slayer64

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine Requests   Phantom Engine Requests Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 4:47 am

that will be fun. Smile

and put stewrats face on it. jk hahahaha Razz
Back to top Go down
Guilty Sparks
Heavy Poster
Guilty Sparks

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine Requests   Phantom Engine Requests Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 5:54 am

lol... Put in this face:
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/3015650/2/istockphoto_3015650_carneval_mask.jpg

... ok that was completly off topic. ANYWAYS:
Is the next release also going to contain guns? Also, my halo model characters are all broken up into little peices, so you could combine them. Theres like 40 peices for the most advanced ones and like 15 for normal human-like people
so if you want you could use those...
Back to top Go down
Phantom107
Admin
Phantom107

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine Requests   Phantom Engine Requests Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 1:14 pm

The bot is a block that moves around. No face needed. Make the animated person yourself! Also, for the guns, I found a large pack of Halo 2 models myself. I've got almost every model in different forms of detail. Very useful. Smile
Back to top Go down
Guilty Sparks
Heavy Poster
Guilty Sparks

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine Requests   Phantom Engine Requests Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 2:56 pm

ok I bet thats the file I have Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Guilty Sparks
Heavy Poster
Guilty Sparks

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine Requests   Phantom Engine Requests Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 3:48 pm

I know something: terrain (Like hills and mountains) This would be cool, since if its a outdoor/outdoor-indoor map, it will look really good
Back to top Go down
Guilty Sparks
Heavy Poster
Guilty Sparks

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine Requests   Phantom Engine Requests Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 7:27 pm

and random objects, too (for a real life feal)
I really want to see a car in it like this: http://www.myps3.com.au/img/game/Call-of-Duty-4--Modern-Warfare-4.jpg If I can find a good model, you think you could put it in?

ok, also, how would I make a building?
like the one in the marines are entering here: http://weeklygeekshow.com/images/COD4sight.jpg
I tried, but the blocks are way to big... Could you make smaller walls for the next release as well as the big ones?
Back to top Go down
Phantom107
Admin
Phantom107

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine Requests   Phantom Engine Requests Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 8:09 pm

Phantom107 wrote:
Guilty Sparks wrote:

Smaller walls are very well possible. How tall do you like them to be? Equal to the terrain pieces? Note that bullet checking will cost a LOT more memory since checking small walls is expensive. (Maybe I'll make the grids 16 times as big to allow easy wall and tree checking)

How about answering my question first...
Also, how thick did you expect these smaller walls to be? 8x8?

Lol, how can the blocks be to big?! You can customize the camera height, and the wall z height too. You can get any scale you want...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine Requests   Phantom Engine Requests Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Phantom Engine Requests
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next