Phantom107 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phantom107 Forum

Phantom107's Forum. Discuss about games, GML, 3d, game design here. Enjoy your stay ;)

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Phantom107
Admin
Phantom107

Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06 Empty
PostSubject: Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06   Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2008 5:25 pm

Phantom Engine

Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06 1-11

I've begun on building my very own first-person shooter engine, called Phantom Engine. Actually I think with some modifications this engine is suitable for 3rd person platformers/other games too. This engine will be completely open source. I hope one can take advantage of it and create some great games. Smile

v0.01
  • After placing spawn points, the player gets spawned randomly at a spawn point's position
  • Walking fluently
  • Mouselook
  • Jumping
  • 3d Gravity
  • Generating terrain at very high efficiency
  • 2 levels of terrain including slopes
  • 3d Collisions
  • 3d Shooting; the engine returns the point where the bullet collided
  • Drawing a HUD
Download Phantom Engine v0.01

v0.02
  • An additional layer of ground; there are now 3 different height levels
  • Added some simple particles to show where your bullet hits the terrain
  • Loading a model externally
  • Loading a texture externally
  • How to rotate a gun along with the camera
  • Gun walking animation
  • Gun shooting animation
  • Preventing the gun from passing through the terrain
Download Phantom Engine v0.02

v0.03
  • Added a 4th layer of terrain
  • Improved the terrain generation
  • New checking system using ds_grid data structures
  • Improved height checking
  • Improved 3d collisions
  • Improved the precision of 3d bullet checking
  • Thanks to the ds_grid system the engine now runs even faster
  • You can now determine the height difference between terrain layers by setting a single variable
Download Phantom Engine v0.03

v0.04
  • New colors around icons makes level editing easier;
    toggle the display of the grid in the room editor off for better viewing
  • Cleaned up and optimized most of the code
  • Fixed a small problem when placing slopes between bridges
  • Added a 5th layer of terrain + slopes for terrain layer 4
  • The terrain border has been replaced by a 6th layer of terrain (terrain layer 05 has no slopes)
  • Added bridge pieces; Just place them on top of the normal terrain pieces
  • Changed and added "Return_" scripts
  • Made 3d collisions even better; the engine allows for some really advanced checking now
  • Removed weapon model, weapon texture and weapon animation;
  • Walk and shoot collisions work perfectly on the bridges
  • Added a walking animation for the camera
  • Every bridge layer has 3 seperate models: one for the top, one for the walls and one for the bottom;
    I made it just in case you wanted to give the bridge a different texture Wink
Download Phantom Engine v0.04

v0.05
  • Added support for controller gamepads like the Logitech Chillstream and USB XBox 360 controllers
  • Changed the camera projection
  • Revised room editor icons
  • Engine now runs more stable
  • Most problems with terrain generation have been fixed
  • Added a new handy "Return_" script
  • Bullet checking has been optimized and works very fast now (thanks Slayer64!)
  • Changed motion system; airwalking not longer possible, which makes gameplay more realistic
  • The editable includes a nice level to show the powers of the engine
Download Phantom Engine v0.05

v0.06
  • Fixed depth issues with icons -- no need to place the player icon anymore; spawn points still required!
  • Walking with controller now is more sensitive (variable motion acceleration)
  • Improved aiming with controller using a system to allow accurate aiming & fast turning together
  • If your controller supports it, you can now also jump by pressing the right thumb stick (works great while aiming)
  • Prevented hidden wall generating caused by bridges using new checking system
  • Revised icons...again
  • Fixed flipped textures
  • Gravity lifts have been added succesfully
  • The gravity lifts will automatically get their highest equivalent terrain and lift the player to that height
Download Phantom Engine v0.06

v0.07
  • Added the Halo 2 battle rifle (without scope) as the player's gun
  • Made really good first person weapon animations for movement
  • Made a firing animation which seamlessly works with the movement animations
  • Restructured the engine to keep it clean and organized
  • Introducing the all-new Phantom Mapping system
  • This system will automatically mipmap the textures on the terrain
  • It will also allow for draw distance techniques
  • Not only does the engine look prettier, it runs faster too!
  • I added a script to define texture coordinates used in the terrain
Download Phantom Engine v0.07

credits
Credits is required. You must show the logo above at least 4 seconds in the beginning of the game, with this text somewhere below it: "Phantom Engine made by Phantom107".

note
Thanks to everyone who gave me a referral on Host-A. Thanks to the referrals I get 1600 MB worth of bandwidth per month, which is more than enough to upload a LOT of stuff.

Enjoy. Very Happy

I have moved the topic. Do not post any requests here anymore. There is seperate topic made for requests.

Last edited by Phantom107 on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:01 am; edited 25 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://phantom107.actieforum.com
slayer64
Heavy Poster
slayer64

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06   Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2008 6:10 pm

nice job on the engine phantom.

Last edited by on Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
stewrat
Loyal Poster
stewrat

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06   Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 12:39 am

nice!
Back to top Go down
http://www.yogamerclub.piczo.com
Guilty Sparks
Heavy Poster
Guilty Sparks

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06   Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 1:21 am

Evil or Very Mad I CANT WAIT TO SEE IT! I cant go on my computer with Game Maker on it for hours or untill tommorow!!!
Back to top Go down
Phantom107
Admin
Phantom107

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06   Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 9:53 pm

* Update *

The engine is now at version v0.02. See the first post for the changes & download link.
Back to top Go down
slayer64
Heavy Poster
slayer64

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06   Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 10:53 pm

this is really nice phantom. slopes, different levels. even though there's only 3.

i mostly like the gun animation and model. since i haven't made a gun move that good. can i use the model and tex?

i think it would be the greatest if this had some sort of interface. a the user could change the size of the piece's, the z value of the floors, and maybe even be able to adjust the textures. like the room maker i made. lol. but this would be 2d and simpler to use. it could look like the room designer in game maker.

if you could make that, and with enough flexibility. someone could make ANY level they could think of. slopes and all. Smile
Back to top Go down
Phantom107
Admin
Phantom107

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06   Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 12:03 am

slayer64 wrote:
this is really nice phantom. slopes, different levels. even though there's only 3.

i mostly like the gun animation and model. since i haven't made a gun move that good. can i use the model and tex?

i think it would be the greatest if this had some sort of interface. a the user could change the size of the piece's, the z value of the floors, and maybe even be able to adjust the textures. like the room maker i made. lol. but this would be 2d and simpler to use. it could look like the room designer in game maker.

if you could make that, and with enough flexibility. someone could make ANY level they could think of. slopes and all. Smile

Thanks for the reply -- with this kind of feedback I can really improve the engine

If you want I can make more height levels. I made the engine in a structure that can easily add these kind of things.
(Maybe I'll add elevators & and maybe 4th height level if someone wants it)

I found the model & texture on www.turbosquid.com . It was a free download there, so yeah, I guess you can use it for free. And just so you know: everything I supply with the engine is free to use.

The size of the pieces doesn't matter. Think of it - by placing the camera at a greater height the pieces would appear smaller. If you change it, don't forget to change the height in the shooting script too otherwise the checking will be off!

To make the z of the terrain pieces customizable would be very difficult. (Perhaps too difficult?). Especially the height checking on the slopes! Also, other height issues with collisions will be difficult too. I'm going to try it though. (But don't count on it). If I manage to do it, the user of the engine would just have to change a single variable in the beginning of the script to let everything change automatically.

Errrr the texture are already customizable. They're even customizable for all different terrain heights and walls! Just change it in the scr_DrawWorld() script.
Back to top Go down
slayer64
Heavy Poster
slayer64

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06   Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 5:55 am

cool.

glad i could help. Wink
Back to top Go down
Guilty Sparks
Heavy Poster
Guilty Sparks

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06   Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 6:12 am

this is great, just great... Its really well written... I didnt get to look at the files yet, I just played it, but are the blocks d3d or models? If they are models, could you include some wall models? ok, well, as I said before, VERY NICE JOB! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Phantom107
Admin
Phantom107

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06   Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 2:22 pm

Guilty Sparks wrote:
this is great, just great... Its really well written... I didnt get to look at the files yet, I just played it, but are the blocks d3d or models? If they are models, could you include some wall models? ok, well, as I said before, VERY NICE JOB! Very Happy

Actually they're d3d models Razz . Each floor/walls layer has it's own model.

model_Terrain01 = 1st layer of floor
model_Terrain02 = 2nd layer of floor
model_Terrain03 = 3rd layer of floor
model_Wall01 = walls of the 1st layer of floor
model_Wall02 = walls of the 2nd layer of floor

You can change each texture of them in scr_DrawWorld().
Back to top Go down
Phantom107
Admin
Phantom107

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06   Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 9:43 pm

* Update *

The engine is now at version v0.03. See the first post for the changes & download link.

It was insanely hard, but I did it. You can now determine the height difference between the terrain layers. You only have to set the variable delta_z in scr_ControllerCreate to your desired value, and the engine will take care of everything. The 3d collisions, height checking, bullet checking and everything else will still work perfectly.
Back to top Go down
slayer64
Heavy Poster
slayer64

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06   Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 11:00 pm

oh nice. all i have to do is change delta_z and the terrain is different. cool. i set it to 32, and then 128. the slopes don't work quite right, i can still get up them. i think the maximum falling speed should be unlimited, i fell rather far and it seemed to have a low velocity.

let me think.....next improvement.......well i guess bridges are next. that is where game maker usually falls short. my room maker can do it though. tongue lol.
Back to top Go down
Phantom107
Admin
Phantom107

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06   Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 11:06 pm

It's always possible to get up the slopes, if you study the collision code you'll understand why. If you don't want the player to go up, just build a wall. Razz

I think I can make bridges. The only problem is to incorporate them in the room editor.
Back to top Go down
Guilty Sparks
Heavy Poster
Guilty Sparks

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06   Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 11:10 pm

I know whatyou should do... If your trying to make this a easy to use program, make each level's sprite a differnt color. I did that myself, and it helped me alot while making it in the room editor
Back to top Go down
Guilty Sparks
Heavy Poster
Guilty Sparks

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06   Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 12:02 am

OH I know what you need. You should make it so theres other weapons (mabey a machine gun for the next release) that are on the map that you can pick up. Then, make it so you can have 2 weapons at a time... This would be very cool, and is something that is admired in most games
EDIT: Also, include bridges... (Mabey even layer 5?)
Cant wait to see it... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Phantom107
Admin
Phantom107

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06   Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 11:51 pm

Actually originally I wanted to put the Unreal Tournament GOTY weapons in the engine but I couldn't find models. Sad
For now no weapon updates until I have some cool models. Send me models and their textures if you think they're useful.
Back to top Go down
Guilty Sparks
Heavy Poster
Guilty Sparks

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06   Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 3:03 pm

ok, but when is V4 coming out? Im making some guns but they'll propobly be ready by V5
Back to top Go down
Phantom107
Admin
Phantom107

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06   Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 3:31 pm

What kind of guns are you making? *crosses fingers for UT weapons*
(v4 is in development)
Back to top Go down
Guilty Sparks
Heavy Poster
Guilty Sparks

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06   Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 1:57 am

sorry its more of a real life gun instead of one from a game.. No but I WILL try to find some UT guns for you, and I cant wait to see V4!!! (You know if your including bridges yet)?
Back to top Go down
Phantom107
Admin
Phantom107

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06   Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 2:13 pm

Guilty Sparks wrote:
sorry its more of a real life gun instead of one from a game.. No but I WILL try to find some UT guns for you, and I cant wait to see V4!!! (You know if your including bridges yet)?

I've tried everything to get those guns, and nothing worked. Crying or Very sad
Good luck finding (modeling?) them! Very Happy

I've already rewritten a large part of the engine. The code is even more cleaner and optimized now.
And yes, I've added a 5th layer of terrain. I'm now busy building the bridges. It's soooooo hard, bacause I have to keep multiple data grids working together to let it work.
Back to top Go down
Guilty Sparks
Heavy Poster
Guilty Sparks

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06   Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 3:18 pm

um you get my messege Phantom? (About the model guns)
Back to top Go down
Phantom107
Admin
Phantom107

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06   Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 3:48 pm

Guilty Sparks wrote:
um you get my messege Phantom? (About the model guns)

I have now Wink
Back to top Go down
stewrat
Loyal Poster
stewrat

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06   Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 12:46 am

AWESOME!
Back to top Go down
http://www.yogamerclub.piczo.com
Phantom107
Admin
Phantom107

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06   Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 3:24 pm

* Update *

Phantom Engine is now v0.04. Check out the new features in the first post. I'm sure y'all like the bridges! You can create some really interesting level design with them. Even tunnels! I've also edited the credit requirements. I'm sure you don't mind.

I'd appretiate it if someone made me a quick executable of the engine in GM7 and then send it to me: gamemasterguus@hotmail.com. (add me to msn if you like). I want to do some speed tests between GM6 and GM7 using the engine.

Request away. Wink
Back to top Go down
slayer64
Heavy Poster
slayer64

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06   Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 8:58 pm

phantom. your engine kicks ass. this project of yours is coming along rather nicely. i sent you an exe of your engine. i think i set the fps to 60 when i made it exe. lol, hope thats not a problem in your speed tests. i can send another if you like.

i think that you should make it easier to look at. i mean, re make all the sprites, they are just hard for me to look at. i think they should all be solid colors, not just around the edge, with the numbers on them. make the bridge and slope sprites look like slopes and bridges. not just an arrow with an s01 on it.

maybe make the bridges transparent so the user (me) can see the number of the terrain below it. or make the sprites 16x16 so a user can place bridges on top of bridges without making everything look CrAzY. so the user could place 4 pieces on top of each other and still see what is going on in the room editor.

i like to play with the delta_z variable, maybe some more variables to control the textures.

why did you take the gun out?? that was cool.

anyways this engine is great. cheers
Back to top Go down
slayer64
Heavy Poster
slayer64

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06   Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 9:06 pm

oh, i think you should make your projection look like this.

Code:
d3d_set_projection_ext(obj_Player.x_from,obj_Player.y_from,obj_Player.z_from,obj_Player.x_to,obj_Player.y_to,obj_Player.z_to,0,0,1,

90,900/600,1,32000);

i know that doesn't have much to do with the engine, but i think it looks cooler that way.
Back to top Go down
Phantom107
Admin
Phantom107

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06   Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 9:28 pm

slayer64 wrote:

i think that you should make it easier to look at. i mean, re make all the sprites, they are just hard for me to look at. i think they should all be solid colors, not just around the edge, with the numbers on them. make the bridge and slope sprites look like slopes and bridges. not just an arrow with an s01 on it.

maybe make the bridges transparent so the user (me) can see the number of the terrain below it. or make the sprites 16x16 so a user can place bridges on top of bridges without making everything look CrAzY. so the user could place 4 pieces on top of each other and still see what is going on in the room editor.

OK, I'm revising the room editor icons to make it more user-friendly. Don't expect too much of it though, since the engine uses 2D room building for a 3D game.

slayer64 wrote:

i like to play with the delta_z variable, maybe some more variables to control the textures.

What kind of extra variables did you had in mind?

slayer64 wrote:

why did you take the gun out?? that was cool.

I took it out to replace it with something more advanced later.

slayer64 wrote:

anyways this engine is great. cheers
Thanks!

-------------

I concluded from my speed tests that GM6 draws polygons a little bit faster than GM7, but GM7 is more stable and handles the bullet checking faster.
Back to top Go down
slayer64
Heavy Poster
slayer64

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06   Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 9:50 pm

Quote :
OK, I'm revising the room editor icons to make it more user-friendly. Don't expect too much of it though, since the engine uses 2D room building for a 3D game.
just make the icons simpler to look at. supa simple. easy on the eyes. i like to make fancy levels.
Quote :

What kind of extra variables did you had in mind?
well, i didnt look at your code, but next to the delta_z variable make some variables to control what level and texture to use.

Code:
floor_tex[0]=background0;
wall_tex[2]=background1;

the number in the array can be the level.

Quote :

I took it out to replace it with something more advanced later.
SWEEEEeeeEEEEeeT. i cant wait to see it. Very Happy

Code:
I concluded from my speed tests that GM6 draws polygons a little bit faster than GM7, but GM7 is more stable and handles the bullet checking faster.

i think you can make it more efficient by increasing the distance the bullet travels each time. and by calculating the angle only once.

Code:
//get checking coordinate
change_x = cos(degtorad(MouseHor))*10;
change_y = - sin(degtorad(MouseHor))*10;
change_z =  - tan(degtorad(MouseVer))*10 + cam_height;

repeat(512)
{
        xx+=change_x;
        yy+=change_y;
        zz+=change_z;

//check for collision
        if zz < Return_Terrain_MinZ(xx,yy) or zz < Return_Bridge_MinZRelative(xx,yy,zz)
        {
        }
}

i multiply by 10 so there are fewer calculations. i know this makes it less accurate though.
Back to top Go down
Phantom107
Admin
Phantom107

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06   Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 10:17 pm

That's some very interesting bullet checking technique you got there! (It has a little mistake in it but that doesn't matter). I'm definately going to optimize and try this technique.
Back to top Go down
slayer64
Heavy Poster
slayer64

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06   Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 11:11 pm

Phantom107 wrote:
That's some very interesting bullet checking technique you got there! (It has a little mistake in it but that doesn't matter). I'm definately going to optimize and try this technique.

lol yea. i went to change your code to make it work that way and realized that i needed to set xx to x in the first place. Very Happy

after 5 mins of fiddling, it didnt work out for some reason. maybe cuz i have no idea how the rest of the code works. scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06   Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Phantom Engine - Currently v0.06
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next