Phantom107 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phantom107 Forum

Phantom107's Forum. Discuss about games, GML, 3d, game design here. Enjoy your stay ;)

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Story-Line!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
stewrat
Loyal Poster
stewrat

Story-Line! Empty
PostSubject: Story-Line!   Story-Line! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 7:13 pm

This is my pet peeve. A game is not good without a good story-line. Now gamemaker dosn't really hold enough memory to make a game with a great story-line like the hobbit, but I've been thinking. We could make several levels and save them as different games. We could then have a password at the end of each level that would allow you to access the next level. This would work especially well in a WW2 game. The passwords could be in Navaho! Something to think about.
Back to top Go down
http://www.yogamerclub.piczo.com
Guilty Sparks
Heavy Poster
Guilty Sparks

Story-Line! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story-Line!   Story-Line! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 7:27 pm

Also, heres an idea- I havnt tested it before. Instead of each room being a different level, we could have 3 or 2 levels in one room. If you beat one level, you jump to postition 2 which looks different, but is in the same room. However, we would make it so you cant get out of each level by putting mountains/trees/walls. This I think might able us to add more levels. If my theory is completly wrong, please tell me Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Phantom107
Admin
Phantom107

Story-Line! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story-Line!   Story-Line! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 5:40 pm

It what sense doesn't Gamemaker hold enough memory for a story line? Large amounts of text shouldn't be a problem, since you can load external files. Or do you want to show in-game videos?
Back to top Go down
https://phantom107.actieforum.com
stewrat
Loyal Poster
stewrat

Story-Line! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story-Line!   Story-Line! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 7:06 pm

Guilty Sparks wrote:
Also, heres an idea- I havnt tested it before. Instead of each room being a different level, we could have 3 or 2 levels in one room. If you beat one level, you jump to postition 2 which looks different, but is in the same room. However, we would make it so you cant get out of each level by putting mountains/trees/walls. This I think might able us to add more levels. If my theory is completly wrong, please tell me Very Happy

Well. I'm no speed expert, but it would seem that the more objects you have in a room the slower the game moves.
Back to top Go down
http://www.yogamerclub.piczo.com
Phantom107
Admin
Phantom107

Story-Line! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story-Line!   Story-Line! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 7:16 pm

stewrat wrote:
Guilty Sparks wrote:

Well. I'm no speed expert, but it would seem that the more objects you have in a room the slower the game moves.

That depends, actually. In my FPS Engine I have ~100 objects for the terrain and no sign of slowdown at all. It all depends on how much code those objects are executing.

Your "more-levels-in-one-room" theory is actually easy to make. Just de-activate all instances in the levels you don't currently use. For example, if you move from level 1 to level 2, just de-activate all level 1 instances and activate all level 2 instances.

I hope it helps Smile
Back to top Go down
slayer64
Heavy Poster
slayer64

Story-Line! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story-Line!   Story-Line! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 7:24 pm

deactivation is a good way to speed things up but i have done things with deactivation and it will still lags if a room has a really lot of objects. destroying and creating is the best way, making the fewest number of objects is even better. making the objects large enough to fill an area rather than making lots of small objects is a great way to maximize speed. but its impossible to make a super large room that doesn't lag, a computer has its limits. moving to another room is the best way to keep things fast and making a flawless room transition could make the illusion of very large room.
Back to top Go down
Phantom107
Admin
Phantom107

Story-Line! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story-Line!   Story-Line! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 8:31 pm

slayer64 wrote:
deactivation is a good way to speed things up but i have done things with deactivation and it will still lags if a room has a really lot of objects. destroying and creating is the best way, making the fewest number of objects is even better. making the objects large enough to fill an area rather than making lots of small objects is a great way to maximize speed. but its impossible to make a super large room that doesn't lag, a computer has its limits. moving to another room is the best way to keep things fast and making a flawless room transition could make the illusion of very large room.

You're absolutely right. It's better to just make independant rooms.
Back to top Go down
slayer64
Heavy Poster
slayer64

Story-Line! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story-Line!   Story-Line! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 10:48 pm

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Story-Line! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story-Line!   Story-Line! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Story-Line!
Page 1 of 1